VirtualDub is a free and open-source video recorder and converter software for Microsoft Windows. It has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files and can be extended with third-party video filters. VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files. Some users also would like to rip and convert DVD discs with VirtualDub, but may encounter some error messages like: Can’t find/load DVD vob files in VirtualDub, how can I use VirtualDub to convert DVD to DivX, Xvid.avi? Luckily, you’re in the right place, here’s the step-by-step guide and please keep on reading.
Guide: Rip and Convert DVD with VirtualDub
VirtualDUB is a bit different to Handbrake, it doesn’t need installing, just extract the archive and run ‘VirtualDub.exe’. However, you do need to separately download the MPEG2 plugin (required to decrypt DVDS).
1. First download the freeware VirtualDub, it’s latest version is 1.10.5 test 7 (October 13, 2014).
2. Then, download MPEG2 plugin to decrypt DVD files, when you extract VirtualDub, there will be a “plugins” folder, copy the content of the MPEG2 archive into this folder.
3. Run VirtualDub.exe and click File > Open Video File – Now you need to navigate to your DVD and click VTS_01_1.VOB (this is usually the first video file on a DVD, then tick the option ‘Ask for extended options’ before clicking ‘Open’. On this new dialogue box, tick ‘Open multiple VOB files as one virtual file’. VirtualDUB will now analyse the DVD and this may take some time.
4. Click the ‘Video’ menu option and then ‘Compression’. You’ll be presented with a list of options for compressing your video, in this example I’ll use the DivX codec. Unfortunately this also isn’t included with VirtualDUB by default. So if you don’t see it in this list you’ll need to download and install it (when doing so, you’ll only need the ‘DivX Plus Codec Pack’), restart computer if needed, reopen VirtualDUB and it should now appear in the compression dialogue box. ‘DivX x.x.x Codec’ (not Decoder).
5. Final step click: File > Save as AVI, then choose where you want to save the video file.
Editor note: The process is a bit complex, you need to install some third-party codec to convert DVD files, and the output codec/ formats are limited. If you want an all-in-one DVD decrypter and encoder and best VirtualDub alternative software, please turn to Part II.
Rip/Convert DVD with best VirtualDub Alternative (No Third-party Plugins)
If you don’t want to install the third party plugin and want to rip/convert DVD/Blu-ray/Videos to MP4/MOV/MKV/AVI/WMV, etc in one conversion, Brorsoft Video Converter Ultimate for Windows /Mac should be the best option for you and the best VirtualDub Alternative.
- Convert virtually any video/DVD/Blu-ray files to all popular video/audio formats like H.264 MP4, MOV, MPEG-4, AVI, WMV, MKV, FLV, 3GP, VOB, MP3, M4A, WAV, and more.
- Easy-to-use, 6X faster conversion speed and zero quality loss
- Customized presets for 150+ popular formats including iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Android, Xbox, PS3/PS4, Apple TV, and more
- Backup any DVD/Blu-ray with 100% original quality, or directly copy Blu-ray/DVD main movies as you like.
- Edit videos in your way (crop, trim, volume, subtitle, watermark and effect)
- Support H.265/HEVC Encode & Decode
Free download the best VirtualDub Alternative:
Step 1. Load DVD Movies
Install and launch the best best VirtualDub Alternative video converter, simply click Load Disc to import DVD movies to the program.
Step 2. Choose Output Format
Click the Format option, then select DivX.avi, Xvid.avi from the Common Video or HD Video category as you like.
You can also choose other options according to your devices.
Tip: If you like, you can click Settings icon to change the video encoder, resolution, frame rate, etc. as you like.
Step 3. Start Ripping DVDs
When everything is ok, tap the Convert button to rip and convert DVD movies to AVI videos. DVD copy protection will be removed automatically.
After the conversion, you can click the Open button to quickly locate the ripped files and transfer them to your home media server or portable devices.
Now, feel free to play the converted DVD movies on HDTV, portable devices.